Sunday, July 27, 2014

Oh, and This Happened


On the Whole 30 you cut out a LOT--all grains, dairy, sugar/sweeteners, legumes, alcohol, processed anything--and salmon with vegetables gets really old after like Day 3. So even though I've been a proud vegetarian for over 20 years (the last two I ate seafood also), I finally got the courage to try meat. I've been mentally building up to it for a while now, reading books and articles ('The Vegetarian Myth' is a particularly good one) on how to ease back in to the meat world. I believe it has important nutrition that my body needs and I think that the grain/dairy/legume/vegetable diet I've lived on for so long has gotten me to where I am now (overweight, with severe hayfever and many other minor ailments). It's a high carb, insulin-fueled diet that I realize now is the reason I've had cravings, crashes, and steady weight gain over the years despite eating pretty healthfully and exercising regularly.

Anyways, I recently started using chicken broth when cooking (instead of veggie stock) and then dove in head first with a (grass fed, organic) beef burger...which I LOVED. It's like all the cells in my body lit up and started cheering. I felt so satiated (not stuffed) afterwards! I had about one a week while on the challenge and also tried bites of my husband's chicken and pork (which I'm still working up to). I worried a lot about what people who've known me a long time would think, but I'm at the point where I want to take control of my health and I think a paleo/Whole 30/Wheat Belly/whatever you want to call it diet is the best course of action (for me at least). I don't think I'll ever be a huge carnivore, but I would like to incorporate meat as a side to add protein, iron, etc. a few times a week. So there you go!

No comments:

Post a Comment