Saturday, June 29, 2013

Stuffed Peppers

I actually made a menu board this week (I love menu planning, it makes me feel like a bad ass!), and one of our dinners was stuffed peppers. I sliced the tops off of the bell peppers and then broiled them by themselves for about 15 minutes, rotating them every 5 minutes so they roasted evenly (the top photo was a last minute pepper that didn't get broiled--it was crunchy and raw, so definitely broil first!). I didn't start broiling until recently (because honestly, I didn't know how), but it just heats the oven from the top, which is great for roasting or getting a nice toasty finish on something.

Then in a bowl, I mixed brown rice with some steamed veggies (basically what I had in the fridge--green beans, red pepper, onion, broccoli, and squash) and a big dose of Hernandez salsa. Scooped it in my peppers and grated some cheddar on top, then baked them for about 15 minutes, or until everything was gooey and awesome looking.


I stuffed my (non-vegetarian) husband's with cooked ground beef, brown rice, and Rotel diced tomatoes, also topped with some cheddar. We ate 'em with Greek yogurt (tastes a lot like sour cream) and some pinto beans cooked with salsa on the side. Ole!

No comments:

Post a Comment