Friday, June 7, 2013

Jackpot!

Today was a good day. Like, a REALLY good day. My flight to Austin was delayed, which was fine because it gave me more time to walk the dogs and get stuff done around the house. Delta originally had me waiting five hours at the Atlanta airport for a connection, but I got there and they got me on a earlier flight in first class. Which I could totally get used to :). Great flight, then I get to the hotel and they give me a complimentary upgrade to a king suite (what-the-what?!). Then, just when things can't get any better, the front desk staff informs me that the ATX Festival is going on and that there are lots of celebrities staying at the hotel. Now maybe this makes me shallow, but I love me some celebrities!

So I wander to the check in area for the festival and passes for the weekend started at $150 (totally out of my price range). They give me a schedule of events and the opening premiere happens to be starting right next door at the Paramount Theatre. I go over and talk to the volunteer manning the door, and she tells me to sit tight, and after about five minutes they let me in for free!

The opening night features a screening of "Arrested Development" and the actresses who play Maeby (Alia Shawkat) and Ann aka "Her" (Mae Whitman) held a Q&A with the audience afterwards. Score!


There was also a "Boy Meets World" reunion scheduled, so I saw Ben Savage (sorry for the unflattering picture, I was trying to be inconspicuous with my picture taking and not appear like a total stalker) and the rest of the cast (minus Topanga). I also ended up in the ladies room with the show's mom at one point.


During the Q&A, Alia pointed out the "Friday Night Lights" cast sitting one row behind me. Look! It's Joey Lawrence's little brother on the right ("Whoa!")!


The Q&A was really interesting and it was funny to see ultra religious "Ann" chugging Bud Light during the interview.


I'm not sure how all of the stars aligned, but what started as a pretty average day turned into a pretty freaking awesome adventure. I love that about Austin--there is always something cool going on!

No comments:

Post a Comment