Thursday, May 16, 2013

How to Make an (Awesome) Diaper Cake

Our neighbors are having a baby boy in a few weeks, and we are excited about their baby shower this weekend. I'm a big fan of diaper cakes--they are practical and fun and can double as a center piece if needed. Plus they are relatively inexpensive to make. But I like to make mine with a special surprise in the center, an idea I got from the Alpha Mom blog years ago (love it!). So here is phase 1:


Wal-mart sells a silver pizza pan for $3 that I place the bottle of champagne (or in this case, mom's favorite liquor, whoo hoo!) in the center of. Then you start rolling diapers two at a time and securing them with rubber bands. I use the big stretchy rubber bands to hold the larger rings in place as I group them around the bottle. We also found this cute little elephant blanket that will serve as the topper, but I've put little stuffed monkeys, bows, big flowers, toy cars, and many other fun things on top too. Once you build three layers high, it's time to decorate!


I wrapped each layer in folded over tissue paper, added some stick on stars from the scrapbook section, and tied a jungle ribbon around the elephant. Final touch was a "K" for Baby Kieran!

No comments:

Post a Comment